Friday, August 19, 2011

Book 5...another one?!

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Honestly...i've thought real hard about giving 2 stars instead of 3 but the characters and the deep plot in this book still save the story...but the writing...

Martin disappointed me. I didn't wait long for this book, and perhaps that removed some of its 'sparkle' to me but just like its predecessor, A Feast for Crows, i feel this book doesn't stand up for the 3 first books.

(anger mode on)

It has parts which, well, are unreadable! There is no patience that can stand the long long long descriptions about the family this, and house that, and the long names and the past battles and fears and what the hell Martin though he could put to fill out pages!! Without those parts, this book would be probably half the size, and probably a much more enjoyable read! I don't like skipping parts, but i add to do it so that i didn't gave up on the book!

Mr. Martin, on another note, i don't quite believe any of us cares about the east, and their traditions and people... We... I care about Westeros! That was the success of your first books, why the hell increase it?! It's too much!!

(anger mode off)

Had to get that off my chest...

Now, while the pace is slow, it still 'forced' me to continue and find out the fate of characters such as Jon, Tyrion, Theon (for me, Theon's story was awesome) and Daenerys. I've also enjoyed the introduction of Ser Barristan and Melisandre. We still don't know much about the past of Jon or the role the Others will play...but that's the normal 'cliff-hangers' that still linger in these books (i've felt that Mr. Martin has put another few of them...)

I just hope that the next book can return the impressions i had on books 1,2 and 3 because honestly, if the next one persists on this trend i'll just wait for the TV series.


View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home